Learning prepositions is a must in English Grammar. The use of prepositions in a sentence can give you the best learning. That’s what I have covered in the topic “prepositions that start with S”.
Let’s go through it.
Prepositions That Start With S
Here are only eight prepositions that start with the “S” in English grammar:
- Save for
- Short of
Prepositions that start with ‘S’ using ‘Save’
Here are some examples of sentences containing the preposition ‘save’. It can give you a better view of understanding prepositions that start with ‘S’ using ‘save’.
- All save Stephen were present.
- Ten save four of the students passed the exam.
- All save a few brave souls fled in fear as the enemy approached.
- All save one member of the staff agreed to the decision.
- All save a handful of items were sold during the clearance sale.
- All save the eldest child inherited a portion of the family fortune.
- All save one team member supported the new project proposal.
- All save a couple of houses were destroyed in the earth quack.
- All save one student completed the challenging task.
- All save a select few were invited to the event.
- All save a single player scored goals in the thrilling soccer match.
- All save a single page had been torn from the book.
- All save one passenger will be checked out from the terminal.
You might have noticed that only past tense appeared in the above sentences using ‘Save’. The preposition ‘save’ appears to connect a meaning ‘except’ here.
You also might’ve noticed that ‘save’ is rarely appeared in our daily life examples because ‘except’ is too much in use. So you can consider ‘Save’ as obsolete these days.
Prepositions that start with ‘S’ using ‘Save for’
Here are some examples of sentences containing ‘Save for’. It can give you a better view of understanding prepositions that start with ‘S ’ using ‘Save for’.
- Save for a few minor corrections, the essay is complete.
- Save for a single fault, the product is a masterpiece.
- Save for some hiccups, the journey was great.
- Save for a single blank page, the book was full of colors.
- Save for a little delay, his flight arrived on time.
- Save for a single player, my team performed well.
- Save for a few showers, the weather was great in this month.
- Save for a single error, the report is well-researched.
- Save for a few disagreements, their relationship was strong.
- Save for a small scratch, my car was in great condition.
Prepositions that start with ‘S’ using ‘Since’
Here are some examples of sentences containing ‘Since’. It can give you a better view of understanding prepositions that start with ‘S ’ using ‘Since’.
- Since she arrived, I’ve been waiting for her.
- I had been traveling for hours since evening.
- She has been living in California since last year.
- Since he left, I have felt lonely in the house.
- We had been working together since we graduated.
- Since the rain started, we can’t travel now.
- He has loved painting since he was a child.
- Since the wedding ended, we’ve been discussing the next event.
- He will have been waiting for you since morning.
- Since I started exercising, I have felt healthier.
- Since Joseph moved away, I haven’t seen him.
- She has been working on this project since last Sunday.
- Since we arrived early, we got the front seats.
- He will be preparing all night since he has an event tomorrow.
- Since Stephen became famous, his personal lifestyle has changed dramatically.
- Stephen has been practicing the Gitter since he was a child.
- I had been dreaming of this moment since I was a little boy.
- Since Stephen joined the team, their performance has improved.
- He will have finished his work by tomorrow since he started early.
- She had been waiting for the bus since 10 a.m.
- Since he left, I have missed him every day.
- He has been working at the company since she graduated from college.
- I will study abroad this year since I was accepted into the program.
- Since the party ended, they have been setting up the house.
- He had been planning the trip since last month.
- Since she became a teacher, she has inspired many students with her attitude.
- I have been playing the guitar since I was a teenager.
- Since it was a sunny day, the temperature has dropped significantly.
How to avoid the wrong use of Since?
- Incorrect: I have been waiting here since two hours.
- Correct: I have been waiting here for two hours.
- Incorrect: She has been absent from the office since two days.
- Correct: She has been absent from the office for two days.
- Incorrect: Since they moved to a new city, they made many friends.
- Correct: Since they moved to a new city, they have made many friends.
- Incorrect: They have been traveling together since two days.
- Correct: They have been traveling together for two days.
I’ve gathered prepositions that start with V and W with everyday examples. You can take advantage to go through the quality stuff.
Prepositions that start with ‘S’ using ‘Short of’
Here are some examples of sentences containing ‘Short of ’. It can give you a better view of understanding prepositions that start with ‘S ’ using ‘Short of ’.
- It fell short of victory.
- The new gaming laptop for emulators is great, but it falls short of its competitors in terms of Hard Disk.
- I tried my level best to finish the task on time, but I fell short of the deadline.
- The newest and best baby oil for newborns for massage was effective, but the portion sizes were short of satisfying within the price.
- I saved up for our dream summer vacation, but my budget fell short of the cost.
- The player’s throw performance was good, but it fell short of the required flag.
- Johnson introduced the best epilator for the year, but the production fell short of expectations.
- His promises were lofty, but his actions fell short of fulfilling them.
- The company aimed to reduce costs, but its efforts fell short of the annual targets.
- Stephen wanted to score in every match, but he fell short of his goal.
- The student worked hard, but his final score fell short of his expectations.
You might have noticed that a lot of practice can fill the gap. It requires more exercise to establish a good concept about using since.
Do you like more examples of prepositions that start with T? You can read more examples by Subscribing to our free learning blogs.
There are only three most used prepositions that start with S. These’re ‘since’ and ‘short of’. Other prepositions that start with S may be in the history of English grammar books or novels.
Muhammad Faisal Kiani is an expert SEO Copywriter, Content Analyst, Strategist, and career counselor. He is enriched by the dynamic experience of 26 years in sales & marketing, management, recruiting, content creation, and career counseling. He is currently working as The Director Operations at Benison Marketing (Pvt.) Ltd.— A real estate consulting and property advising company.
Faisal Kiani has a creative, innovative, and unique approach to SEO copywriting with more than a million words floating in the digital ocean. He prepares beginner to advance levels courses of SEO Copywriting through Amazon Affiliate Blogging, landing pages, and Product Descriptions.
You can also get his first international publication, “The Mystery of Life” on Amazon Kindle soon. Some of his quotes are now published on his website faisalkiani.com as a token.